What is the hype about having lemon water daily
GREAT QUESTION...... Normally a big NO! especially if the oil is not a pure essential oil?
As per Doterra
Each type of oil contains a mixture of natural chemical compounds unique to that species of plant and to the environment in which the plant is grown. For thousands of years, humans have ingested plants in the form of food as well as plant parts and extracts as herbal health products and teas from leaves and flowers, which contain essential oils.
One could argue that it should also be safe to ingest essential oils in small quantities, just as we have been doing when ingesting plants containing essential oils. Because they are produced naturally by plants, essential oils are found in naturally balanced mixtures. Then why is there an ongoing concern about the internal use of essential oils? Not only is it safe to ingest essential oils, but it can also be very effective. Read entire article HERE
Lemon Essential Oil Uses and Benefits
Add Lemon essential oil to your water for a refreshing taste or as an alternative to sodas and sugary drinks. When taken internally, this essential oil can also naturally cleanse the body and aid in digestion.* You can even add a drop of Lemon essential oil and sliced fruit to your water for a delicious infused flavor.
Lemon Essential Oil vs Fresh Lemon Water
Drinking lemon water in the morning is a key part of the challenge this week and the intense focus on this one habit has made me curious this week as to the difference between using fresh lemon vs lemon oil in water. I’ve used both techniques in the past.
During a major seasonal cleanse I love the ritual of preparing a special fresh lemon water with basil and sea salt. However, on a regular basis and during the challenge you can decide, I will be using lemon oil in our water first thing in the morning since its easy and quick to use plus does not affect your teeth enamel. Nor your heart burn if you suffer like me.
But are the benefits the same?
The answer is of course Yes and No…
If you are looking to prep the body for digestion, to kickstart the production of bile to help with elimination, and boost the body with hydration for the day then yes absolutely either form works well for this.
Lemon in both the oil and fresh form is considered a “bitter” taste which promotes the production of bile which kick starts the digestive process and readies the body for food.
Flushing the body with water first thing in the morning helps to get rid of the waste products and toxins which have built up over night in your body. In Ayurveda we prefer warm or hot water depending on your Dosha which does not shut down the digestive process like cold water. Think of your stomach and digestive system as a fire and keeping optimal digestion relies on keeping your fire burning hot not throwing a wet blanket over it.
Benefits of Fresh Lemon
If you are looking to increase Vitamin C, potassium and citric acid in your body – then fresh lemon is the way to go. Although you will likely want to include at least ½ lemon in your water to get any real effect from this which makes it quite a strong taste first thing in the morning and not for the faint of heart!
The high levels of acidity in the flesh of the lemon is cautioned though to make sure to rinse the mouth afterwards and not sip this form of water all day as it may promote teeth enamel decay.
Benefits of Lemon Essential Oil
The peel of the lemon is where the nutrients are more densely packed and contains considerably more antioxidants and the compound D-Limonene. D-Limonene is attributed to healthy bowel movements, reducing acid reflux, improved mood, and promotes healthy cellular functions throughout the body.
Lemon Peel is also not acidic so it does not pose a risk to teeth enamel or reflux.
- Whether you like working outside on your bike, your car, or projects in the garage, you know the frustration of trying to get black grease off your hands. No matter how hard you scrub with soap, there always seems to be a greasy residue left behind. Give your soap a little extra cleaning power by adding a few drops of Lemon essential oil to your soap mixture, and give your hands a good scrub.
- Have you ever tried using Lemon oil for skin? It turns out, this essential oil can help exfoliate your skin. When incorporated into your skincare routine, it can help give your complexion a refreshed, healthy looking glow. Given we are on a spring cleanse this is a beautiful way to make your own homemade exfoliate scrub, combine 4–5 drops of Lemon essential oil to a small amount of oatmeal and water. As you apply the Lemon oatmeal scrub to your skin, you will feel the cleansing and refreshing properties of Lemon essential oil working to exfoliate and clean your skin.
- I personally love diffusing lemon oil, it provides an uplifting environment and promotes a positive mood, learn more about moods in the below picutre attached. Due to the chemical makeup of this oil, it has been shown to help improve mood with an energizing and invigorating aroma. If you want to diffuse Lemon oil, use three to four drops in the essential oil diffuser of your choice.
Diffusing Lemon essential oil will also help cleanse and purify the air and surfaces in your home. Whether you are trying to eliminate airborne odors, or just like to keep your house smelling fresh, bright, and clean, Lemon is an optimal choice for diffusing—on its own or in a diffuser blend. Looking for a good Lemon oil diffuser blend? Add 2 drops of Lemon, 1 drop of Lime, 1 drop of Lavender, and 1 drop of Rosemary to your diffuser for a “Clean Summer Kitchen” aroma. Yummy!!
- The cleansing and preserving qualities of Lemon make it the perfect oil for maintaining your furniture. Whether your furniture could use a good wipe-down, a new shine, or a just a little TLC, there are several uses for Lemon essential oil when it comes to cleaning and preserving furniture. By adding a few drops of this essential oil to olive oil, you can create your own non-toxic furniture polish at home. When applied to furniture, Lemon essential oil leaves a clean shine, prevents fine wood finishes from drying out, and can replace lost moisture in antique woods as it penetrates worn finishes. When trying this polish on your own homemade furniture, always apply the polish in an inconspicuous spot before applying it to the entire piece.
While Lemon can work wonders with wood furniture, it is also useful for maintaining leather furniture. It takes a lot of work and special care to preserve a leather couch or leather chair, but Lemon essential oil takes a lot of the work out of it for you with its preservative properties. Use a Lemon oil soaked cloth to wipe down your leather furniture to help preserve the piece, and prevent leather from splitting.
- Are you a fan of lemon-infused desserts? You can add a sweet and zesty punch to your favorite treats and dessert recipes when you add a little Lemon essential oil. When used properly, this essential oil often adds a sweet, sugary taste to desserts, without the processed sugar or other alternative ingredients. For example, Lemon essential oil makes these Blueberry Lemon Muffins a delectable treat. The bold, bright flavor of Lemon essential oil makes these Honey Suckers the perfect homemade treat. You can cool off in the heat with this delicious and refreshing Strawberry Citrus Slush. Your favorite lemon-flavored treats are just waiting to be transformed—try your hand at baking with Lemon oil today! But if your not a fan of desserts, why not use a drop with sesame or olive oil in your salads.
- TIP - Lemon essential oil is a great remedy for the early stages of tarnish on silver and other metals. No need to throw out jewelry, silverware, or other household items that have started to tarnish—just put a couple drops of this essential oil on a cotton ball, and rub on the tarnish to bring back the natural beauty of your metals.
- A major benefit of Lemon essential oil is its purifying properties, which makes it the perfect component for homemade cleaning agents. If you are worried about dirt and grime, this essential oil is the perfect solution for cleaning the surfaces of your bathroom and kitchen.
Add Lemon essential oil to a spray bottle of water and use it as a homemade cleaning solution when you wipe down your counter tops, baby high chair, bathroom sink, or anything else that needs the purifying power of Lemon. To make the solution even stronger, consider adding a little vinegar. The beauty of a homemade cleaning solution made with Lemon essential oil is that it doesn’t include all the chemicals that store-bought cleaners have. You can rest easy knowing that your cleaning agent won’t pose a threat to you and your family, because it is chemical-free! Want more Lemon oil cleaning ideas? Try this easy and effective glass cleanser for your home.
- While Lemon essential oil holds many cleansing and purifying properties when used topically, it can also be very beneficial when taken internally. When seasonal changes start to bother you, try taking it internally to assist with seasonal respiratory discomfort.* Aside from assisting with respiratory discomfort, Lemon oil can also be taken internally to naturally cleanse the body and aid in digestion. *When taking Lemon essential oil internally, dilute one drop on 4 fl. oz. of liquid. As mentioned above, you can also find creative ways to add Lemon to your water. Once you’ve discovered your preferred method for taking this essential oil internally, you’ll be able to enjoy the benefits of respiratory assistance and body cleansing.*